Monday, November 15, 2010

Favorite Distractions - Installment #1: Simon's Cat

These days, I find it very hard to get any work done because I do practically all of my work on the computer and I'm always online. So as I "work" I know that hiding behind my photoshop window is my browser set up with at least 5 tabs for gmail, OOPSmail, facebook (of course), youtube and 1bigoops.com (I leave it open and refresh it every so often just to make sure it's still there).

Recently, I was forwarded a link to a fantastic animated series called, "Simon's Cat." Can I tell you that after the first video, I was sucked in for a good 20 minutes just watching this animated feline discovering the world as only a cat can. Everything it does is steeped in reality, highlighting the smallest, silliest moments that truly do happen (to cats and their humans) in a no frills kind of way.

I guess it should come as no surprise seeing how the creator, Simon Tofield, has 4 cats. If that doesn't say cat lover, get this; the animations are all hand drawn from frame to frame. In keeping with standard fps (frames per second) settings, that can land Tofield with anywhere from 12 to 25 drawings for a single second of video. Now that's love and dedication right there. Relatable, cute and clever, "Simon's Cat" is one of my favorite distractions.



This was the first video I ever saw from the series. Check out the "Simon's Cat" YouTube channel here.

No comments:

Post a Comment