Monday, November 15, 2010

Favorite Distractions - Installment #2: Foamy the Squirrel



I first found Jonathan Ian Mathers' "Foamy" and all his squirrelly wrath back in 2004 while I was attending the Art Institute of New York. I was a college student so it didn't take me long to see that Foamy was truly wise beyond his years and his species. So, when my English professor thought it would be a good idea to have the entire class stand up and creatively present the essays they wrote about procrastination, I decided that the very first Foamy cartoon that I had ever seen would make a nice prelude. That cartoon was ... "5 More Minutes." It was pure GENIUS! The video got everyone engaged, laughing and in turn, helped me to relax. I could have said practically anything at that point because I was obviously cool and funny if I was watching these kinds of videos. Needless to say, I killed it.

Now, quite some time has passed since that class and where I am today. Granted, I would check in on Foamy and his human, Germaine from time to time but eventually, fell off until more recently. Things have indeed changed. Still, I kept in touch just enough to see the transitions happening and was all too delighted to find a summary of all I had seen (and missed) over the years. For those of you into dark, cynical, yet funny animations, please proceed to illwillpress.com to check out Jonathan Ian Mathers' creations. Please be warned ... it is not for children. Actually, if you don't know what Foamy's all about, first have a look at what you're in store for:



[chuckle] ... oooh Foamy, love that voice, it's one of my favorite distractions!

No comments:

Post a Comment